CHOOSING THE PERFECT FRUIT TREE
When choosing the perfect fruit tree or plant for your garden, finding the right location is only part of the story.
- The WINTER HARDINESS ZONE (RELATED ARTICLE)
- The number of CHILL HOUR REQUIREMENTS (RELATED ARTICLE)
- DROUGHT TOLERANCE (RELATED ARTICLE)
- The correct SOIL pH (RELATED ARTICLE)
- The correct size tree for your garden
- Main purpose for using the fruit: Baking, Fresh Eating, etc.
Take your time! All these and other factors are critical when selecting plants and trees for your garden. And the Disease Resistance of your chosen variety must not be overlooked. Many factors combine to determine if a plant will survive and thrive in your area.
RELATED ARTICLE: WHY YOU SHOULD GROW YOUR OWN FRUIT
Click on any image to find out more about the item! #ad
DECIDING ON YOUR FRUIT TREE
Decision-making is often a process of elimination.
- Make a list of the types of fruit trees, berry bushes, and grape vines that you want in your garden.
- Prioritize those that are of most importance to you for that year. (You can always plant more next season.)
- Make note of the traits you want: (Example: Plants that will fit into your available space; those that produce enough fruit for a family without having to plant an extra tree; thorny vs. thornless; etc.)
- Consider compromises: (Example: If your chosen plant has a less than satisfactory amount of fruit production, you might decide to go with Choice Number 2.)
Doing your homework now before you order your tree or plant will save you a lot of grief (and elbow-grease) later on. Digging up and disposing of a tree that you’re sorry you bought is just all sorts of “good clean fun!”
HAPPY PLANTING! Susan
For more in-depth information on GROWING YOUR OWN FRUIT